Monastery of the Nativity of the Virgin was founded in 1191 by Grand Prince Vsevolod. In 1237, during the terrible invasion of Batu khan monastery was totally burned. Prince Alexander Nevsky, the hero of the famous battle on the ice of Lake Chudskoye was buried in the monastery in 1263. In his funeral the Metropolitan Kirill said: “The sun of the Russian land has set.” The relics were kept in the monastery’s Cathedral of the Nativity; in 1724, they were transferred to the Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. Petersburg.
The main building of the Monastery is the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin. It has not survived in its original version, which amazed people with its beauty and richness. In 1866, the cathedral was taken down and rebuilt in Baroque style.
A tent-shaped bell-tower built in 1854, together with the cathedral formed an important unit in the row of buildings that made up the town’s southern side.
Despite the fact that the value of the monastery as the main spiritual center of Russia was subsequently lost, it still remained an important center of pilgrimage and was the holy revered place. After the Bolshevik Revolution of 1917, the monastery was closed and housed punitive Soviet authorities.
Amazing fate of the Monastery of the Nativity of the Virgin: for centuries, giving believers hope for the world beyond the grave, it became a place of cruel executions of the 20th century.
Today, the structures of the 17th century make up the base of the architectural ensemble of the monastery: Holy Gate, church of Alexander Nevsky, chambers of Archimandrite, etc.
Entrance Fee: Free
Open daily from 6.00 to 20.00 depending on religious holidays.
Religious services are held several times a day.
68, Bolshaya Moskovskaya str. (Rus: ул. Большая Московская, 68)
GPS coordinates of the Monastery of the Nativity of the Virgin:
Latitude: 40°24′53.519″ (40.4148665)
Longitude: 56°7′53.962″ (56.1316561)
Check out the full list of the most interesting tours in Russian cities.