This year Moscow celebrates its 869th birthday. The Moscow City Day 2016 will be celebrated on a large scale in the early September.
There will be about 1,000 different events and activities including parades, fairs, street entertainments, sports contests and live music concerts. Lots of events are also held in Moscow parks such as Kolomenskoye, Tsaritsyno, etc. Over 60 Moscow museums offer free admission, however, many of them have shorter operating hours during this day.
List of the events of Moscow City Day 2016
12.00 – 13.00 Open ceremony on Red Square (by invitation only)
1. Tverskaya Street: 10 sites with the installations dedicated to the Russian cinema.
2. Revolution Square: Food festival “Slavic feast”
3. VDNKh: Children’s festival, Festival of Brass Bands, Photo exhibition
4. Poklonnaya hill:
– September 10, 10.00-18.00 Parade of students, Music concert
– September 11, 13.00-19.00 Music concert
5. Patriarch ponds: Festival dedicated to Bulgakov writer
6. Tsvetnoy Boulevard:
September 10 – Charity festival
September 11 – Music concert
7. Catherine Park: Children’s festival
8. Garden Ring, September 11, 13.00-16.00. Parade of urban transport. From 17.00 the exhibition of the urban transport in Barrikadnaya and Krasnaya Presnya streets.
9. Tsaritsyno: September 10, 13.00-19.00. Children’s festival, Theater performances
10. Kolomenskoye: September 10-11. Folklore festival
11. Olympic Village Park: September 10-11. Festival of jazz and symphony orchestras
12. Luzhniki stadium: Sport and music festival
13. Muzeon Park:
– September 10, 13.00-22.00 Avant-garde music festival
– September 11, 13.00-22.00 Festival “Masters of music”
14. Gorky Park:
– September 10, 13.00-22.00 festival of music and cinema
– September 11, 13.00-22.00 Music concert
The celebration will culminate in the evening with a grand firework display launched from 20 city sites. The firework will be launched on September 10, at 22.00.
Please note that on 10-11 September some public transport routes may be changed due to street events.