Bogolyubovo (Rus: Боголюбово) is a picturesque village located 13 km east from Vladimir. In ancient times, it served as a princely residence. It was founded in 1158 by Prince Andrei Bogolyubsky. The legend says that the Prince saw a vision of the Virgin Mary who ordered him to found a temple at the mouth of the rivers Nerl and Klyazma. By 1165, the Church of the Intervention on the Nerl and a small fortified settlement around it were erected.
The Church of the Intervention on the Nerl is believed to be a perfect temple of ancient Russia due to harmony of its proportions. It stands on a small hill in the field and fits perfectly into the surrounding landscape. The most notable highlight of the church is white stone carving on the facades depicting beautiful girls’ faces and King David surrounded by fantastic animals. According to calculations of researchers, a carver was to spend about 3.5 thousand days creating this rich ornament. The church is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
To get to the Church of the Intervention on the Nerl, cross the railway tracks at the Bogolyubovo train station and head south. Find a stone-paved road through the meadow. As soon as you pass through a narrow line of trees between the railway and the meadow, you will see the church. The walk takes about 15-20 minutes.
Among the other monuments survived to the present day are the ruins of Andrei Bogolyubsky’s stone castle in the Bogolyubsky convent and the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin, built in the 17th century. Both the castle and the church are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Bogolyubsky convent was founded in 13th century, however, most of its structures were erected in the 18-19 centuries. The main monument of the convent is the ruins of the Prince’s castle: the Staircase Tower and the adjoining gallery of the 12th century. It is possible to climb the spiral staircase of the Tower, decorated with paintings. In former times, there was a passage connecting the tower to the Palace Cathedral. The imposing temple adorned with murals and inlaid with copper tiles, existed until 1722. It was collapsed during reconstruction works. The Church of the Nativity of the Holy Virgin were built on its place. Today, the church houses a museum with archeological findings of Bogolyubovo.
How to get to Bogolyubovo:
Buses #18, 103, 126, 152 departs from Cathedral Square in Vladimir every half hour.
Take local train to Kovrovo 1. The journey takes 13-18 min. Trains depart 2-3 times in the first half of the day.
Latitude: 40°32′3.731″ (40.5343698)
Longitude: 56°11′42.929″ (56.1952581)
Check out the full list of the most interesting tours in Russian cities.