The Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius is a unique monastery complex and the spiritual center of Russian Orthodox Christianity.
The Holy Trinity Monastery was founded in 1345 by St. Sergius of Radonezh, monk and hermit from Rostov whose ascetic existence attracted numerous followers.
In 1337, after the death of his parents, he decided to leave for the forest together with his elder brother Stephen. The brothers founded their hermitage in a clearing surrounded by thick forest. They built a small wooden church, which they dedicated to the Life-giving Trinity. A flood of believers started to come and eventually a community was set up nearby. That was the beginning of the Trinity Monastery. Sergius was canonized after his death, and his remains lie in the monastery’s Cathedral of the Trinity.
Due to its location the monastery became a part of the defensive system around Moscow.
In 1744 Empress Elisaveta Petrovna awarded to the Monastery the highest title of Lavra, increasing its paramount in Russian Church and State.
In 1746, a terrible fire broke out and most of the wooden structures were destroyed. As a result of large scale reconstruction works, the appearance of many of the buildings was changed.
While the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius is a popular tourist attraction, it is nonetheless still a sacred place that should be treated with respect. Everyone visiting orthodox churches or monasteries should wear proper attire.
For men: wear long pants. No shorts and hats.
For women: wear shirts and blouses with sleeves. Hair must be covered with a scarf. No short skirts.
The Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius is open daily from 5:00 am to 9:00 pm
During big religious holidays and memorial days of St. Sergius (5-18 of July, 25 of Sep – 8 of Oct) the monastery is open around the clock.
Churches are open only during services.
Entrance to the monastery is free.
You need to purchase permission to take photos inside the churches of the monastery that costs about 100 rub.
To Get to Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius:
Krasnoy armii av.
Latitude: 56°18′37″ N (56.310278);
Longitude: 38°07′46″ E (38.129444)
1. Sergiev Posad [Rus: Сергиев Посад] can be reached from Moscow by bus, commuter train, or car.
2. After arrival you have to walk about 1 km to get to the monastery. Follow Sergievskaya str. (Rus: Сергиевская) to Krasnoy armii av. (Rus: Красной Армии).
Major Buildings of the Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius
Other Sergiev Posad attractions:
Art and pedagogical toy museum of Russian academy of Education, that represents the history of Russian toy.